Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Semper giving up on things

When I originally undertook to start this blog I thought to myself, "what kind of blogger do I want to be?" The answer was obviously the type that comes across as both intellectual and down to earth. The kind of person that people both liked to listen to (or read in this case) and felt like they could benefit from listening to.
Well I have the down to earth part down pretty well, at least I think. Come to think of it, I don't really know what that term means. Like most English words and phrases I know, I didn't learn it by looking it up, I just learned it by hearing it said by a lot of people in a lot of different scenarios until I narrowed it down to my current understanding of the phrase. Which, based on context, I have to assume "down to Earth" really just means, "thinks a lot like I do." So if you find me "down to Earth" perhaps we should be friends.

Where was I?

Oh yes, "semper giving up." Feeling as if I had the "down to Earth" part down, I thought it was time to move on to the intelligent part. Which was more of a leap for me. People often take me for an intellectual, I consider that to be one of my talents; not being intellectual, just tricking people into thinking I am. What I am is witty, which doesn't require intelligence, it requires fast recall. What an exceptionally witty person does is say exactly what you would say given enough time, they just say it sooner than you do. But quick on your feet doesn't apply to blog posts. Anyone can be witty, given an infinite amount of time. The trick for me was honest to gosh intelligence.
 Luckily for me I was taking a Latin class at the time, which happens to be the universal language of smart people. So I thought--again to myself--"Latin! I'll include as much Latin in my blog as possible, then people can't possibly deny my intelligence!" Well four or five blog posts later, I realize I've more or less used up all the Latin wit I can muster. And so continuing in a long line of things that seemed like a good idea at the time (cue OK Go song) I abandoned my dreams of a half Latin, half English blog examining the the finer things in life. And it became a one man forum for me to shout and mumble and spout all the things that really get my goat (there's another one I never quite understood, "get one's goat" what the heck does that mean?). It's my own little padded room if you will.
So welcome, I think it's too late to change the name, but I'll let it sit, it's kind of grown on me. And I suppose it still fits. As long as you're here, you're semper in excreta.

No comments:

Post a Comment